eBooks and Audiobooks
Libby, by OverDrive
Libby is a free, friendly, easy-to-use app for your smartphone or tablet that lets you borrow ebooks, audiobooks, and magazines. You can even use it on more than one device! Just answer a few quick questions to start, and Libby will remember you, where you leave off, and your reading preferences.You can select the audience, genre, publication date, format, language, availability, and more. You don’t even have to remember a password!
- Download the Libby app.
- Find our Library:
- Search for Bill Memorial Library, and select the library “Library Connection, Inc. Bill Memorial Library”
- Sign in:
- Who issued your library card? Choose that library from the list.
- Enter your card number
- Tap “Sign In”
- Choose whether to have books open automatically on your Kindle. (Please note, Kindle Fire is not supported. See below for more options and information.*)
- Browse, search, and check out or reserve! It’s that easy!
*If your device does not support downloading apps, you can visit the website for Libby and access your account and downloadable materials there.
Open Bookshelf is a collection of open source and public domain material in ebook format made possible by the Digital Public Library of America. This program is completely free and allows you to access downloadable ebooks – no account required! The books are downloaded directly to your device and are your to keep.
To get started, follow these simple instructions:
Newspapers and Magazines through the CT State Library
The CT State Library gives free access to some of the most respected U.S. national and regional newspapers. Unfortunately, the New London newspaper The Day is not one of them, but you can read (among others) The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Hartford Courant.
- Go to the newspapers page of the website.
- Select the newspaper that you would like to read.
- Enter your library card number.
For today’s news:
- Complete the steps above.
- Click “Advanced Search”
- In the drop-down menu next to Publication date, select “On this date…”
- Enter today’s date and click “Search”
For Magazines: go to ResearchIT CT and click one of the links on the left under Resources for magazines geared toward different age groups.